Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)
Every local authority has a statutory responsibility to have a Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) who coordinates the response to concerns that an adult who works with children may have caused them or could cause them harm.
A referral should always be made to the LADO if there is an allegation or concern that a person who works with children has:
- Behaved in a way that has harmed a child, or may have harmed a child;
- Possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child;
- Behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates he or she may pose a risk of harm to children
If you are unsure whether your concern meets these criteria you can contact the LADO for further advice and guidance. The LADO will:
- Provide advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations
- Provide management and oversight of allegations against staff and volunteers who work with children
- Liaise with the police and other agencies
- Monitor the progress of cases to ensure they are dealt with as quickly as possible and that the processes followed are fair and consistent.
The LADO can be contacted using the following details:
- Email: LADO@sloughchildrenfirst.co.uk
- Phone: 07927 681858 / 01753 690906
Where possible, please use the LADO Referral Form.